New Homeowner FAQ

Congratulations on your new home! Connec wires hundreds of homes per year and we’re ready and willing to walk you through what was installed. We’re available to do this over the phone or via email. Click Contact for more information. We’ve compiled some frequently asked questions below, but please don’t hesitate to reach out for further clarification if needed. We’re happy to help!

What is that metal box in the closet and what does it do?

All of the standard low voltage lines in your home run back to your structured wiring panel. This is for cable lines, data lines, and phone lines. The panel is where your service provider (Verizon, Comcast, etc.) will install their router and cable splitter, which will allow for distribution of Cable TV, Internet, and phone service to all of the hard wired locations throughout your home. Let’s take a look at some of its contents in detail.

Service Entrance Lines: These lines run from the panel to the outside of your home, where your service provider then connects to their service lines from the street. These lines feed their router and give access to their services. They are often labeled inside the panel as “FEEDS.” If you’re not sure how to connect these, contact your service provider as every provider is different.

CAT5e/CAT6 Lines: These lines can be used for data (Internet) or phone (voice). The only difference is how your service provider connects them in the panel. If they use a phone block and connect to phone service on their router, it is a phone line. If they connect it directly to the Internet outputs on the router, it is a data line. If they do not connect them, the lines will have no service at all. These are easily identified as the thinner cable with “CAT5e” stamped on the jacket, but we also provide labels that will indicate which room that line runs to. CAT6 is an upgrade option from CAT5e that can be purchased through your builder, but provides the same service of phone or Internet.

Cable Lines: These lines are for Cable TV. All that is installed for these is the service provider’s router and a cable splitter. This will then allow for your service provider to install cable boxes at each location throughout your home. Cable lines are thicker than CAT5e/CAT6 lines, and will also have labels to indicate the room where the line is installed.

Phone Block: We provide these for homeowners who choose phone lines over data lines. This will allow for you to use your CAT5e or CAT6 lines as phone lines. All such lines are terminated with RJ45 ends to be plugged directly into a router for Internet service, but phone lines are a bit different. They require an RJ11 connection, which is a bit smaller. This gives you the option to plug into the phone block or later disconnect it to change that line into a data line. PLEASE NOTE: this does not function as a network switch, it is for phone service only. Network switches are either provided by your Internet service provider or they can be purchased separately from Connec after closing.

Power: An outlet is installed in our panel for your convenience. This can be used for anything that needs power, such as a router, network switch, PoE injector, etc.

Conduit: Depending on your builder, this could be standard or an upgrade option. It is typically used in lieu of service entrance lines, but can be used for many other things as well. Call Connec directly for more details on the conduit runs in your home.

My service provider has connected my router, but didn’t connect my other lines to their service, what do I do?

Give us a call! Once service is on in the house and connected in the panel, the rest is a breeze. Each line is labeled for the room it’s in. So if you need Internet to the study room data location, find the CAT5e or CAT6 line in the panel that is labeled “STUDY DATA” and connect it to an output on your router. Voilà!

All of this Internet networking stuff is over my head, can Connec install my network gear for me?

Absolutely! Connecting customer’s/service provider’s equipment is not included in the wiring package from your builder, but we’re more than happy to take care of it at the rate of our current service call fee. PLEASE NOTE: This applies to Internet only. Cable TV service needs to be set up by your cable provider.

Did this page help you? Let us know! And if you have any suggestions to add to this page, please Contact Us.